[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: 3 cheers for Sirko

3 cheers for Sirko...
I'm a new subscriber myself...and  a total amature to both astronomy and
computers...watched the Persied shower (Max.) for the last 3 yrs...thats
about the extent of it.... this year, night of Aug. 12... Drove to the
desert, to a very dark location and saw a spectacular show, which included
what appeared to be a meteor impact the earth...aprox 2:30 am local time..
 350 degrees magnetic from palm desert, Calif. USA.....Unknown distance..
   I was on a mountain top, and it was just beyond the horizon...  almost
vertical descent...and as soon as it dipped beyond the horizon, an impressive
greenish glowing dome appeared  for about a second...poss two...then
vanished....(? poss. sporadic)..   was so in awe of  what we saw...all 7 0f
us... that I came home... started looking on the internet about Meteors...
found this list via e-mailing everybody that I could find...and asked if
anybody had any info about an impact..  hoping for conformation of my
observation, possibly an explanation...and hopefully a location of that
impact... recieved some replys...thanks everybody.... especially George Zay,
 for all the info (any other thoughts about what I saw?)... but ever since
then.. I've had tons of e-mail from Jonathan via meteorobs re: everything
from his personal problems with the curfew....  to his disinterested
buddy....actually quite tired of it too.... perhaps he didn't get the meaning
of yesterdays reference to using chat rooms instead of mailing lists...
Thanks to all, for the info re: the "impact", and any further replies....and
I'll shut-up now, until I have another question, or perhaps eventually some
useful info regarding meteors... until then.. I'll just sit, and quietly read
the postings without unnecessary comment...BTW.. It's obvious that Jonathan
knows more than I about astronomy...so, I'll give credit, where its due,,,
Don...  DBarn98765@aol.com