[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radio Meteors (long)

At 12:03 PM 9/2/97 -0500, Jim Richardson wrote:
>I personally much prefer a system which utilizes a BFO equiped receiver to
>monitor echoes of the carrier wave signal itself, rather than the
>modulation.  Audibly, the meteor echoes are usually very distinct compared
>to other propagation modes, and much more information can be gleaned from
>them.  There are also several tests which can be applied to verify that
>true meteor signals are being received.

Jim, to what extent is the equipment for this type of monitoring accessible
to the amateur who is just starting out or unsure of their commitment to
radio meteor monitoring? Translated: how much of the required equipment for
carrier wave scatter monitoring is available at Radio Shack for under $100? :)

Thanks also for the SARA reference! I didn't know of this organization,

Lew