[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Cc: NTZT04A@prodigy.com

>From: NTZT04A@prodigy.com ( THOMAS T WOJACK)
>Date: Mon,  1 Sep 1997 13:03:48, -0500
>Subject: (meteorobs) Astronomy vs. TV
>
>Has anyone checked my new radiant?  It may be too late!
>
>Jonathan

Jonathan,

1.  You are rapidly giving yourself the reputation of being a complete twit.
When I started in amateur astronomy, I was 12 or so, and hung around with
the adults and listened... listened... and listened some more.  Then I read
everything I could get my hands on.  Then I might open my mouth and ask a
question.

2.  You are making the mistake that many young people today are making,
confusing the Internet for the library.  If you have a question, research it
yourself, for Pete's sake, don't take the easy, lazy way out and ask the
mailing list.  There's no guarantee that any answer you get, anywhere on the
Internet, is correct anyway.

3.  If you are going to take up plotting, learn something about it before
you try.  Do you have web access?  If so, go to Norm McLeod's excellent
guide, "Suggestions for Visual Meteor Observations" at:

http://www.serve.com/meteors/mcleod/mcleod1.html   (that's
mcleod<one>.html...ells and ones look alike on my machine here)

Print it out, study it, particularly the sections on "Meteor Plotting" and
"Radiants Illustrated".  THEN, if you have a question about why we all
ignored your mumblings about some spurious radiant, come back and ask.

If you don't have web access, I'll mail you a copy.  We do actually want to
see you convert some of this energy into useful meteor work.

Jim Bedient
Electronic Information Coordinator
American Meteor Society