[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Green Milky Way??

I've noticed a greenish cast to the Milky Way on several nights this
summer (unprecedented LM's this summer, too, probably because of the lack
of major forest fires from the Cascades eastward).  For me, it seems this
coloration (sort of iridescent-looking) comes into play when the LM is
closer to 7.0 than to 6.5.  At about the same point, the 3-D effect
becomes much more apparent in the contrast between the bright Milky Way
and its dark nebulosity.

I just returned from three nights at the Oregon Star Party in Central
Oregon.  That site is dark!!!! but susceptible to a lot of high haze.  I
considered devoting a couple of hours in the dead of each night to meteor
observing, but couldn't motivate myself with all the deep-sky sights and
the lack of major activity.  Saw lots of meteors incidentally, no bright
ones and no exceptional activity from the AUR radiant (or I would have had
the tape recorder fired up in a jiffy).  Friday night was a nice 7.0
night, with the slightest bit of haze.  Saturday night was described as a
total loss by most.  Sunday had intermittent clouds but very clear areas
between them, as the Dumbbell Nebula was a borderline naked eye object!

--
Wes Stone <wstone@lclarkdot edu>  Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR
                 SKYTOUR Amateur Astronomy Hypertext: