[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: meteor notes NM

George wrote:
> My guess is that somewhere along the meteor's path, the glowing heated up
> material on the outside is suddenly ablated off, exposing the cold
> interior...then having to reheat all over again to incandescence...meanwhile
> the object has moved along and appeared to be getting bright, dark and bright
> again.

These objects would need to have a much greater tensile strength than
the typical cometary meteoroid, implying they're asteroidal.  In that
case couldn't we have a long thin tumbling slab or rock?  We would see
the meteor when the long side is ablated, and it dims when the short
side is pointing into the atmosphere.

Malcolm