[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Followup: List Etiquette

At 10:30 PM 9/4/97 -0400, Tim <AstroWiz01@aol.com> wrote:
>I signed onto this list to learn more about meteor observing because
>it is a field that I'd like to get into.  But, I myself have
>posted questions and received no answers.

You're right, Tim, that's exactly what the meteorobs list is set up for: to
help serious (or potentially serious) beginners with their questions. The
problem arises when a few individuals take the meteorobs list as something
OTHER than this - when they treat all of us as their personal soapbox
audience, rather than a community of fellow-observers.

To the extent that criticism is levelled on this list, I agree it generally
SHOULD be levelled at the MOST experienced of our subscribers rather than
the least. However, once in a while, the least experienced DO also deserve
some guidance in their postings. And if a member of either group does not
LISTEN to this guidance, then all of us suffer...

BTW, please do repost your questions to the list if they weren't answered
the first time! If you need to access the archive to get the exact wording
of the questions, just contact me privately and I'll help you.

Clear skies and many meteors,
Lew Gramer
owner-meteorobs@latrade.com