[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Going by logic...

Jonathan -

You asked:
>Does ANYONE believe me that I saw a -15 fireball?  I'm telling the truth!

Yes, I believe you saw something...

>Is it impossible for me see a -15 fireball because I was observing before
midnight?  I report what I see.

No, you can see fireballs before midnight too.

>And George, if you don't know, pre-midnight observing is known for its'
fireballs.

Jonathan, that's really not very nice to use phrases such as 'if you don't
know', referring to experienced observers.  You wouldn't like being talked
to this way.  I'm sure George doesn't either - so please guys, be a bit more
courteous!

As for pre-midnight being known for its fireballs, I don't know on that
one... perhaps the more experienced people could tell us...

As George and others have commented, if a -15 fireball went over your area,
there would have been many, many, many, more reports of it - to the news
media, the police, etc..  So, I don't believe it <logically> could have been
a -15.

George wrote:
>I believe you saw something probably in the range of -3 to -6.

This is quite possible.  One of the things that beginning observers of all
ages tend to do, is to over-estimate the brightness of meteors.  Depending
on your sky conditions, I believe this can even happen to more experienced
observers.  This is not meant as criticism... it is just a fact.

>I can't tell you how much it illuminated the ground because... it only
lasted 0.1 seconds...  And, BTW, it was a 'boring' meteor.  It was a point
meteor.

When you wrote that it only lasted 0.1 seconds, and was a point meteor, that
changes the picture entirely.  I think perhaps you might have seen a very
bright satellite that perhaps was tumbling, and seemed to 'flash', maybe on
the edge of your field of view so that maybe you didn't get a good look at.
Or perhaps (and this has even happened to me), you thought you might have
seen a 'flash' at the edge of your field of view, but your eyes played
tricks on you, and it was maybe not a meteor or satellite at all.

I find you have to be very careful if.... you wear glasses (like I do)... I
think you do too, right.... and if you see something near the edge of your
field of view.  If something is near the edge, your eyes can play tricks on
you.  If you're tired, your eyes can play even more tricks.  If you're
looking through any other glass, windows etc., again, this can create
unusual effects, and is not recommended.

So, no, I don't believe what you saw was a -15 fireball.  I know you saw
something, but the logical deduction is that it was not a -15 fireball.

Hope these comments help... and good luck on your observing and reading up
on more about astronomy!

- Cathy
  Great White North