[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Mini-Comet or Meteorite...

Hi all,
        I just saw something that looked like a mini-comet. The time was
7:43 EST. It was between mags -1 and -4. I'm not sure if it was a
mini-comet or a meteorite, but it was slow and most meteorites aren't
slow. This object took over 2 minutes to cross my field of view and it
looked slightly metallic. I'm also sure it wasn't a plane because planes
don't have gaseous tails and this objects tail was about 11 degree's long
and 2 degree's wide. The object was very thin so that made me think it
wasn't a comet but then I remembered mini-comets can look just like
meteorites. If anyone else in this area saw it can you confirm it for me
or if you think that you might know what I saw can you tell me?

Clear skies,
Conrad W. Humphrey (Amateur Astronomer)
Donwon1@juno.com
40deg 43' 45" N   73deg 59' 43" W