[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Radio Meteors - will this work?

Hello Mike.

>It's an ICOM handheld ( scanner? ) can go from 150KHz to 2 Gigs continous.
>It has SSB and CW capability.
>
> Anyone know of this make and if it will be useful for meteor detection?
>It is digital readout.

Yes, any scanner with that spec. is good for meteor detection. You find
different configurations of frequency/mode/antenna/receiver in the RMOB, the
Radio Meteor Observers Bulletin by Chris Steyaert, where I also send my
regular reports.

Using the receiver in SSB mode on TV video carriers is very efficient.
Current meteor rate here is:

* About 3-7 meteors per hour visually (before midnight at mag 6.0 skies)
* About 50000 meteors per day (in words: fifty-thousand) with my PC
recording the reflections on 5 different TV video carriers in SSB mode.

I donīt have the VHF TV-carrier frequencies for North America available
right now, but will send you informations on that later via e-mail.

Regards, Werfried Kuneth, 48N 14E, Austria.