[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Going by logic...

Lew asked (as only Lew can)>
> > Any proposed reason for this, Malcolm? Are slower heavy-object burnups
> > actually likely to be BRIGHTER than fast ones for some reason? Or is there
> > a preferred orbital plane and direction for heavier interplanetary debris,
> > causing them to be more plentiful on the earth-catching than the
> > earth-caught side?? Curious...

In addition to what Sirko has just said, I believe the main factor is
the relative velocities of the Earth and the meteoroids.  Bright
fireballs are more likely to be asteroidal than cometary material.
The asteroidal material has lower relative orbital velocities compared
with (younger) fainter cometary material.  I'll dig up the article in
a BAA Meteor Section Bulletin to see how Keith Hindley interpreted
this finding.

Malcolm