[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sept 10 Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

I watched from the ground near George's observatory this morning where I
will be watching until repairs are complete to the observatory roof and
walkways. There was some trouble with bugs as something kept crawling on
my legs (ants I hope). There were also many mosquitoes that loved to
make one eyes a target. The temperature was comfortable as I was wearing
shorts and a t-shirt and never bothered to crawl into the sleeping bag.
I did have a blanket to offer some protection against the mosquitoes.

The sky was somewhat hazy as it was clear all the way to the coast.
Skyglow was a major problem to the west. I counted a total of 44 meteors
during the 4 hour watch. The September Perseids (DAU) and Piscids (SPI)
were active. There were also 2 meteors that lined up with the possible
radiant in Triangulum. Activity died during the 3rd hour and no I did
not fall asleep. It just seemed that the heavenly faucet was turned off
for a bit. This was a night of long meteors as many of them were in the
15 to 20 degree range. The brightest meteors seen this morning were a
pair of -1's

0815-0915 UT   0.93   6.33   3  DAU  1 SPI   8 SPO   12 TOTAL

0915-1015 UT   0.89   6.22   1 DAU   1 SPI   13 SPO   15 TOTAL

1015-1115 UT   0.98   6.17   5 SPO   5 TOTAL

1115-1215 UT   0.90   5.99   12 SPO   12 TOTAL

It was clear during the entire session. I faced east at an altitude of
70 degrees.

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   65 F  (18 C)     40%

Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:   64 F (18 C)     39%

Bob Lunsford