[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Long Duration Fireballs

<<
 I think what George may be seeing is the debris from several
 failed launches last month.  Usually meteors do not last that long.
 If they are meteors then the radiant must be near the horizon.
 Do the dates seen change in the pattern of an orbit going over
 your location?

 -------- >>
No, actually I'm referring to meteor fireballs. I didn't see anything that
was slow enough to be considered as debris from failed lauches last month.
The longest lasting fireball that I've personally seen was in the
neighborhood of about 10 seconds...but I know that on occasions there are
some meteor fireballs that are of longer durations reported...such as the
Peekskill meteor and the 1972 fireball over wyoming and a few others. Looking
at IMO's FIDAC News, I've noticed at least a few per year. The reason why I'm
interested has something to do with the Roswell UFO myth....where a long
duration fireball was reported...though those who reported it, felt that it
was an extra terrestrial  ufo...of course.
George Zay