[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Iceball Fall in 1849?

Hello All!,
I pulled this off the meteorite mailing list and decided to post here as well
in case someone knows anymore about an iceball falling in 1849....I'm curious
myself.

>>I've heard of a report of an iceball falling in 1849 in the Isle of Skye,
which is an island off the coast of Scotland.  Does anyone have  any
additional details on this fall?  Usually, iceballs falling from the sky
are usually regarded as either hailstones, or a sewer dump from an airplane.
However, in this case, the iceball was of considerable size (size of
a boulder?), and there were obviously no airplanes around in 1849.
Ron Baalke<<