[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireballs

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> I have never seen a Fireball before.  What times of the year do you
see them
> and around what time do you see them.  Any  advice would be
appreciated.

> Thanks

John B,

A fireball is a meteor brighter or equivalent to magnitude -3, which is
close to the current brightness of Jupiter, located in the southeast
during the evening hours.

As stated before, fireballs may occur at any time on any day but are
most numerous during the major major showers. Your next opportunity to
see enhanced fireball rates would be during the Orionid meteor shower
which will be most active for a week centered on October 21. These
fireball would be visible only during the hours between midnight and
dawn with the majority of the activity occurring near dawn.

Stay tuned for more information as the date grows closer to other major
showers of Autumn.

Bob Lunsford

IMO/ALPO