[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Iceball Fall in 1849?

<< >>I've heard of a report of an iceball falling in 1849 in the Isle of
Skye,
 which is an island off the coast of Scotland.  Does anyone have  any
 additional details on this fall?  Usually, iceballs falling from the sky
 are usually regarded as either hailstones, or a sewer dump from an airplane.
 However, in this case, the iceball was of considerable size (size of
 a boulder?), and there were obviously no airplanes around in 1849. >>

I looked in my copy of  Catalog of Meteorites and the only documented falls
in Scotland were:

Copinsay - is doubtful , a stone, fell " into a boat"  in 1676

Loch Tay - is doubtful, several stones were said to have fallen in Sept.,
1802.

Tiree - is doubtful,  stone (chondrite), 2 small pieces (3.5g) labelled
"Tyree, Scotland" (?) and with a date 1808(?) in the catalog of W. Nevill
collection to which they belong, are in the Geological Mus., London, they
resemble Sienna and are possibly identical.

Thats all that was written and no matching dates or mentions of ice.

Kevin