[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observations Sep 28/29, 1997 ZAYGE

Well...I was able to do some observing last night for 5.5 hours under clear
and approximately 6.0 skies. Before I got started...while setting up, I got
my finger pinched big time in one of my camera's tripod legs. After finishing
the yelping and hopping around, I was eventually able to stop the
bleeding...but not the cussing....that kept on for a few minutes longer. I
also did about 30 minutes of painting a small area on the observatory that I
wouldn't be stepping on during the night.  For those who aren't aware of it,
I have been doing a lot of extensive repair work to the observatory these
last 3 weeks. Just about done...the rest will have to be done during the next
full moon. The most important things are done.  I'm trying to get things all
ready for the expected El Nino rains this winter. After the rains we got the
other day, I see no evidence that anything leaked inside. Anyhow, getting
back to my observations last night. I started at about 11 pm and stopped at
5:30 am...effectively giving me 5.5 observing hours. I recorded 65
meteors...plotted nearly all except about 5. Don't know what the shower
breakdown is yet...will determine that later when I take a look to see what's
active. The sky was relatively active...but not too many bright stuff. Did
see a -3 somethingnid low on the horizon. I operated one wide angle
camera...but I highly doubt anything was captured...unless it occurred while
I was walking from camera mount to the top of the observatory. My final and
complete report will be prepared on a later date and sent to Rainer Arlt of
IMO. I should be out there again tonight...conditions expected to be the
same...only saw one mosquito...and he got trapped in my plastic cover to my
charts....squisshed him! later all.
George Zay