[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Responses to Norman

Norman>> Tampa got 12 inches
and Port Charlotte 13, located 120 and 30 miles north of Fort Myers.  Now an
outbreak of flood mosquitoes is coming, hatched from eggs waiting on dry
land until suitable wetness came. <<

The San Diego area normally gets 9 inches....per year!

Norman>>Mosquitoes do like some people more than others.   In California it
sounds like Bob has a rougher time than George.<<

Yea....Bob is a smoothie....he seems to attract all those females...too bad
they are
mosquitos. {:(l)

Norman>>For long-duration fireballs, I tend to think 10 seconds is about the
maximum
except for very unusual slow atmosphere-grazers. <<

The slow atmosphere-grazers is what I'm referring to here. The Peekskill
Fireball lasted in the neighborhood of 40 seconds I believe? and The Great
Daylight Fireball in 1972 over Wyoming lasted in the neighborhood of 90
seconds or so I believe? Anyhow, they do happen. I also can refer to FIDAC
News listing Fireballs reported and I can pull out about 2 to 4 reports/year
where the fireballs duration is 15 to 30 seconds long. I personally haven't
seen any lasting anywhere near that long, but I have no doubt they happen. I
agree with Norman however that about 10 seconds is the usual limit. And agree
with Lunsford that 4 to 6 seconds is a more reasonable duration for most long
lasting fireballs....But I haven't recalled anyone reporting a fireball
lasting only .1 of a second....except one...No doubt this is an under
estimation.

Norman>Before I drop this subject: DO NOT EVER ATTEMPT TO DO ANYTHING
WHATSOEVER TO
>FIX POWER LINE EQUIPMENT YOURSELF!! NEVER TRY TO CLEAN THE INSULATORS BY
>SPRAYING THEM WITH YOUR GARDEN HOSE:
>                         ================
>              YOU WILL---ALMOST CERTAINLY---BE ELECTROCUTED!
>                         ================
>
>Call your power company and ask for help.<<

Very good advice! Being a Fireman, I have been given training by the Power
Company so that we don't zap ourselves in the course of our work. One thing
they stressed..dot it is very possible to get zapped when you are several feet
away from one of those big high tension power lines. Nobody in our fire
department will touch down wires...reportedly live or dead..dot simply because a
dead wire now can easily come back to life several minutes later
automatically. So we just don't touch them. If someone is on the wires, the
policy is wait until the power is definitely turned off before "body"
retrieval....no need making it two body retrievals. We use to have special
gloves to touch live wires with...but not anymore...not reliable. Bottom
line...don't mess with electricity unless you know what the heck you are
doing.

Norman>> The fire department went along US 1 below Homestead and
sprayed the poles to wash the salt off.  How did these people survive their
work?<<

Beats me Norman...I'd have to say that the power was off and that the power
company was involved with washing the salt off. I have seen power company
personell  spraying power lines. No doubt the power was shut down somehow?
But I bet you won't find any firemen doing it today...unless they were
volunteers and don't have a clue what they are getting involved with.

Norman>> A pastime in one town was
climbing transmission towers.  One night someone had several beers before
climbing one, then inevitably had to do something else while up there.  His
wiz vector carried his salty stream about 5 feet from a high-tension line,
causing it to arc over, run up the stream, and knock him 60 feet to the
ground.  His parts were fried.<<

I once was hunting for Agates out in the Desert near Chambliss bunch a years
ago and was casually walking under the power lines in the process when I
notice the hair on my head and arms stood straight up towards the wires. This
shook me up. Not knowing what might happen, I stooped down and walked away
from the wires. Couldn't help thinking that this might have been a precursor
to getting roasted. I now don't walk underneath power lines unless I have to.
The wires seemed to be about at least 30 feet above me.

George Zay