[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Responses to Norman

<< How about driving along I-15 toward Vegas out in the desert in your pickup
 truck with its 11-foot-high CB radio antenna whipping around; and reaching
 for the cigarette lighter just as the road runs under one set of those
 lines, and getting a slight shock? THAT'S shocking! Happened to me once.
 Them power lines coming away from Hoover dam must be some kinda high
 voltage; I've heard 500 kilovolts mentioned.  >>
---------------
You can take a florescent light bulb with you as you approach those big high
powered electrical wires and it will suddenly come on...I use this as a
definite sign to get the heck out of there.  When I was in the Air
Force...many moons ago, I worked on aircraft radios...particularly the UHF
and HF on B-52's.  The HF radios would put out over a thousand watts. When
working on one of these radios in the shop, I would always keep a small
florescent light bulb laying on the table. Sometimes when things go wrong,
you will notice the bulb light up. This is when you beat feet and pull plugs
as you go. Don't want to be cooked without knowing it....I guess it wouldn't
be so good knowing about it either?
George Zay