[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) The Great Daylight 1972 Fireball over Wyoming

Thanks for the further info on the Great Daylight 1972 Fireball, George!

As long as we're talking about past fireballs, does anyone have any info on
a fireball (or satellite reentry??) that occurred sometime in the warmer
months (that is, definitely not during the cold of winter) of 1994:

* occurred somewhere around 1930 to 2030 Eastern time;
* bright green;
* observed from lat/long of about 39N, 78W (Wash. DC Northern Virginia suburbs);
* elevation was about 40 to 60 degrees;
* began at an azimuth of perhaps 330 degrees, moved what looked like nearly
due south and disappeared at around 260 to 270 degrees;
* lasted several seconds;

It was not terribly bright but seen from the parking lot of a large shopping
center, it was very prominent, particularly the green coloring. Near as I
remember, the sky *may* have been slightly hazy to the west, but you could
see a couple of bright stars or perhaps planets in the western sky. I cannot
remember what month this was, but I do remember wearing a light jacket so it
was definitely not in the cold months of winter, likely in the fall such as
around now. Dozens of people in the parking lot saw it, and since it was in
the western horizon, it would have been visible through the upper portion of
windshields to thousands of commuters driving westward on Northern
Virginia's Rt. 7 from Washington, D.C. We did not see anything on the news
that night about it.

Clear skies,

SteveH