[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Global Superbolide Network (GSN)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 97 14:59:06 +0100
From: Zdenek CEPLECHA <ceplecha@asudot cas.cz>

     Note to potential participants in Global Superbolide Network (GSN):
        We are still in the process of collecting names and addresses of
volunteers, and will probably continue to do so over the next month or two.
In the meantime, here is a little more information concerning our plans
for the network.
        The principal aim in organizing the network is to obtain rapid and
thorough follow-up on large events occurring in remote regions of the
globe.  The intent is to increase understanding of the nature of larger
bodies impacting the earth's atmosphere.
        Satellite sensors currently detect bolides with peak brightnesses
greater than about -17 visual magnitude, recording some 30-40 such events
each year.  Events of this size are believed to represent impacts of masses
1000kg and larger.  Although it is apparent that most of these impacts are
not associated with common meteor showers, satellite responses alone are
seldom sufficient to establish even crude trajectories/velocities.  Thus
little is known about the origins of these larger impactors.
        Eyewitness data, while it can never be good enough to establish
accurate trajectories, can be quite useful in assessing the general
direction and velocity of impact, from which an origin, cometary or
asteroidal, can be inferred.  In addition, since the probability of
recoverable meteorites should be greater for larger impactors, information
aiding meteorite search (direction of flight, altitude, angle of descent,
etc.) is especially important on these events.
        Anticipating the problems that will be encountered when going "into
the field" to gather eyewitness accounts, we have put together a list of
equipment we believe investigators will need in their follow-up activities.
The list includes GPS receiver, magnetic compass, sighting inclinometer,
audio tape recorder, maps, instructions, and data entry forms.  It is our
intention to supply selected volunteers with kits containing these items.
Also, although details have not yet been worked out on how to arrange for
it, we plan to find a means for covering costs incurred in conducting a
follow-up survey (travel, lodging, meals, incidentals).
        Again, the focus of this endeavor is only very large events, those
whose rarity of occurrence and potential scientific return can justify
taking follow-up measures such as these.