[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) 1994 or 95 Washington DC Fireball

At 12:16 AM 10/08/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Three days ago, someone asked if anyone recalled seeing a fireball report
>from Washington DC in 1994? Sorry, I can't recall who asked that question
>now.

That was me, George.

>Over the last 3 days, I went thru my copies of FIDAC News for 1994 and
>1995. I didn't find anything that seemed to be the fireball in question for
>1994. However, I did find one on Jan 23, 1995.

If I can find weather reports for that date, it's possible that it was very
warm and earlier in the evening than I thought. But I really don't think
this is the occasion because I almost never got home before 7 pm back in
those days, and we would not have headed out for dinner (saw the fireball
outta the corner of my eye while walking southward between the parking lot
and restaurant) until at least 7:30 pm. Of course, going out for dinner was,
in itself, so unusual that I just might have gotten home earlier than usual
for some reason. I wonder what day Jan. 23, '95 was..I'm almost certain this
was on a weekday, possibly Friday since I violently resisted being dragged
out to eat on any day but Friday!

>Actually there were four
>reports that could be the same sighting if you take into account of the
>possibility that the people who reported them had trouble with converting to
>Universal Time.

It would not surprise me at all if those from the WDC area were all stated
in "Washington time" rather than Eastern Standard Time...

Thanks for looking, George! Are those FIDAC reports available on the web
somewhere? Also, was this fireball reported to be green, at least in the WDC
area? One of my coworkers mentioned it the next day and he lived some 20
miles east of myself so he would have been looking through different haze,
if the color is supposed to have been caused by local atmospheric haze.

Clear skies,

Steve Harrison
Shrewsbury MA