[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: A New Direction for the AMS

<< We are very sincere and serious in this effort to finally bring the
 American meteor science community together into an active, cooperative
 group.  It will be especially gratifying to bring this about in preparation
 for the upcoming approach of comet Temple-Tuttle, as well as the beginning
 of the next century.  We believe that this new direction for the AMS
 represents a grand opportunity to pool our various resources and talents to
 the best possible advantage for the American meteor science community.

I find this quite amusing...I still wonder if AMS is only jerking the
American Meteor Observer around. Last month(September) I received the
following letter from a meteor observer:

"Dear Mr. Zay:

I am a recently retired amateur astronomer. I wish to join a meteor
organization(such as the Radio Meteor Observers) and communicate with other
people who share my interest in all types of meteor observations and
analysis.

I stress "communicate with other people" because I have recently been in
contact with the Director of the American Meteor Society (Dr. David Meisel)
and have found myself in a social and intellectual vacuum. After joining the
AMS, I made repeated requests to the Director for issues of their Meteor
News, postal addresses of members, information about the recent Perseid
shower, and many other questions which have been unanswered or ignored.

I wish to join an organization that is member-friendly - with lots of
communication among it's members and a sharing of knowledge, news, and
results.

I live in Raton, New Mexico which has dark and radio-quiet skies. I have
recently been making video observations of Perseid and sporadic meteors and
recording their VHF FM scatter signals; but I am interested in all types of
meteor observations if neither of these activities is a part of this
organization...."

I directed this individual to IMO and notified Lunsford. I know Bob has sent
him a variety of mail. I also sent him a package of meteor related articles,
forms and advice...such as steer clear of AMS if you are serious with meteor
observing and need help or info. I guess all of a sudden AMS is going to be a
different animal from now on with essentially the same leadership as it had
last month? You can pad AMS with all the observing groups you want, but with
Meisel at the helm, you don't have the American Meteor Society...you still
have the American Meisel Society. I will have nothing to do with the American
Meteor Society until I see some real progress or a change in it's Director.
George Zay