[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) AMS/ALPO/NAMN/NJAA

On a more cheerful note:

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 06:10:12 -1000
From: Richard Huziak <huziak@SEDSystemsdot ca>
To: Jim Bedient <jamesbed@hcc.hawaiidot edu>
Subject: Re: North American Meteor Observers Unite

I would like to congratulate the AMS on the establishment of a
unified meteor network.  This is highly encouraging.  As an active
observer for the IMO, and several other organizations (IOTA, AAVSO,
NLC Can/Am, BAA Auroral Section, others), I have always wondered as
to why groups choose to splinter and go their own directions when it
is obvious that a common goal is being worked on by all groups
anyway, and best served in this manner!  In these days of global
communication and global observing program possibilities, it just
makes good sense. Quality (and volumnous)data is so difficult to
obtain within a small group that chooses to go on their own; I can't
see how limited data can lead to scientifically valid results. Groups
such as AAVSO have proven the power of coordinated observers, and
they as well have cooperative programs with other world-wide variable
star programs!

To make this work, there needs to be, as you have already pointed
out, a standardized method of data gathering, and clearly defined
coordinators to whom we can always send our observations.

Thanks again!

Richard Huziak,
President, The Saskatoon Centre
The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
huziak@sedsystemsdot ca

 |James R. Bedient               |E-Mail: jamesdot bedient@faa.dotdot gov|
 |Traffic Management Coordinator |   Fax: 808-739-7604             |
 |Federal Aviation Administration|  Home: wh6ef@pixi.com           |
 |Honolulu CERAP                 |School: jamesbed@hawaiidot edu      |