[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) AMS Observing periods

 Jim>>The board chose the 10 pm starting point as a rather simple "rite of
 passage" in acknowledgement of the fact that most experienced meteor
 observers conduct their watches beginning in the late, rather than early,
 evening hours -- including yourself, George.  I would also think that the
 later starting time would help to keep beginning meteor observers
 attempting to meet this criteria from becoming too bored by early evening
 sporadic rates -- which I have also heard you complain about.

Yes..dot since this last 1 1/2 years I begin my meteor watches around 10 or 11
pm...years prior it was shortly after dusk to dawn. The conclusion to that
discussion was that a number of people on this list were going to dedicate
themselves to more frequent observations in the early evenings due to work or
school commitments.  I imagine by now there is a healthy number of early
evening observing hours reported to AMS? I'm personally not complaining about
the 10 pm starting time. I was just puzzled by the apparent conflict of what
was discussed this summer by some AMS members and their affiliates and what
was printed on the AMS website. Yes, I complained about the early evening
novice observer mainly because I've been there and done that and know what to
expect...boredom is a very real possibility. Don't get me wrong...I'm not
blaming AMS for the low sporadic rates during the early evening hours. I'm
relatively sure it's not your fault.
George Zay