[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NAMN LM Charts

At 08:26 PM 10/18/97 -0400, George Zay wrote:

>I was just looking over the NAMN Limiting Magnitude charts on their website.
>I know  the listed star count area locations quite well. But if you are using
>the star charts on the NAMN site as a guide because you don't have the
>various star count areas memorized, you might find it difficult to figure out
>which stars are the end stars of the star count areas?

There are a couple of options if this occurs. You can contact the NAMN for
more assistance, you can obtain a copy of the NAMN Guide, or you can obtain
a copy of the IMO handbook. At this time, these are the best charts
available online (see below for more on their source). Because of this, we
chose to feature them on our site. As new charts become available, we will
of course evaluate those and provide a link to them (with the owners
permission), if we find they are clearer or easier for observers to use.

>I recommend that the charts show larger areas of the sky.

I haven't seen any like this available online. Are you aware of any? Do you
have some, or the ability to create the new charts? If so, can I take a look
at them and possibly link to them from the NAMN site?

>I haven't looked nor do I know if the AMS or IMO websites have similar charts
>posted or not, so I don't know if they have the same problem.

At the NAMN site, on the index page to these images, there is a statement
which reads "These charts are provided courtesy of the International Meteor
Organization." They are the source of the charts you see on the NAMN site.
For more information about the charts themselves, you might try contacting:

IMO Visual Coordinator: visual@imodot net
IMO Webmaster: webmaster@imodot net

Thanks for the interest in our site.

Mark Davis
NAMN Coordinator
ALPO Assistant Coordinator
AMS Assistant Visual Program Coordinator