[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NAMN Photographic Form

At 08:42 PM 10/18/97 -0400, George Zay wrote:

>Looking at the NAMN Photographic Report form on the NAMN website, I've
>noticed some missing items that I think should be on the form. Such as:
>
>1)The Meteor's appearance time
>2)If using a Rotating shutter, list the shutters RPM
>3)If unguided camera is used, identify at least 6 stars in the photograph.
>4)What Shower member the meteor is from if known.
>5)The double date of when the meteor occurred.
>6)The photographer's location such as: Longitude, Latitude, elevation
>7)Apparent meteor magnitude
>8)Apparent Velocity: Slow, Medium, Fast, Very Fast
>9) Persistent train duration

George,

There are a couple reasons why we have the form we do:

First of all, the NAMN deals with VISUAL data only, not photographic. But,
we do provide some basic information about this technique, and send
interested individuals to the experts for more information. I repeat here:

We provide BASIC information, not information for the more advanced observer.

So we have a BASIC report form......

But since we enjoy a close working relationship with the IMO, we suggest
potential observers contact Marc de Lignie, the Photographic Commission
Director of IMO for more information or to submit observations. In fact, the
report form you mention has that at the top of it. Who do you think we
should direct folks to.....?

And finally, the report form you critique is actually one YOU designed, and
I converted to html for the web site. This was under a separate working
arrangement than we now have, so I will have it removed if you wish.

Mark Davis
NAMN Coordinator
ALPO Assistant Coordinator
AMS Assistant Visual Program Coordinator