[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NAMN LM Charts

<<
 GeoZay>I was just looking over the NAMN Limiting Magnitude charts on their
website.
 >I know  the listed star count area locations quite well. But if you are
using
 >the star charts on the NAMN site as a guide because you don't have the
 >various star count areas memorized, you might find it difficult to figure
out
 >which stars are the end stars of the star count areas?<<

 mark>>There are a couple of options if this occurs. You can contact the NAMN
for
 more assistance, you can obtain a copy of the NAMN Guide, or you can obtain
 a copy of the IMO handbook. At this time, these are the best charts
 available online (see below for more on their source). Because of this, we
 chose to feature them on our site. As new charts become available, we will
 of course evaluate those and provide a link to them (with the owners
 permission), if we find they are clearer or easier for observers to use.<<

The charts you have at your website looks like parts of the plotting charts
themselves. However you got those charts onto your website in the first
place, couldn't you simply enter smaller copies of the charts themselves that
would show slightly larger areas of the sky with the appropriate star count
area included? I'm not a whiz bang with computers myself, but I gather a lot
of folks that got these lofty titles are and it would seem to not be a big
matter to make the charts slightly larger. Couldn't you cut out a larger area
of the sky off a plotting chart and then reduce it to an appropriate size
while photocopying? from there isn't there some way to run the chart thru a
photo reader? Like I said, I'm not a whiz bang with computers, but it appears
that all this has been done by someone before with the original charts?

 GeoZay>I recommend that the charts show larger areas of the sky.<<

Mark>> I haven't seen any like this available online. Are you aware of any?
Do you
 have some, or the ability to create the new charts? If so, can I take a look
 at them and possibly link to them from the NAMN site?<<

No I am not aware of any...but the one's you have now are essentially useless
for any practical usage. Would posting a chart onto this list like one does a
photo be useful or would that not be possible to transfer it to your website?

 >I haven't looked nor do I know if the AMS or IMO websites have similar
charts
 >posted or not, so I don't know if they have the same problem.

 mark>>At the NAMN site, on the index page to these images, there is a
statement
 which reads "These charts are provided courtesy of the International Meteor
 Organization." They are the source of the charts you see on the NAMN site.
 For more information about the charts themselves, you might try contacting:

Whether IMO is the source or not, doesn't make the charts that any more
useful in practice does it? I haven't had the chance to look and see if IMO
has the same charts or not, but if they are identical in sky area covered as
you have on the NAMN website, the complaint is the same.  If something is
screwed up, why be contented about it?
George Zay