[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NAMN LM Charts

<<
 Lew>Guys, the version of the LM charts which I use were photocopied and
mailed
 >to me by George, from an IMO original: the sky areas are layed out on 8 or
 >10 different large-area sky charts (two per page). The first two pages of
 >the photocopy are actually a listing of star end-points for all 30 LM sky
 >areas, and a table for converting star counts in each area into Limiting
 >Magnitude. This is a VERY convenient format. Any way these handy charts
 >might be digitized for inclusion on the NAMN (or IMO) Web sites?

Mark>>Lew, I believe what you mention above are the charts and tables
contained in
 the IMO Handbook. The current edition has 12 of these "finder" charts with
 about 2 pages of tables to go along. If they were digitized, would not the
 larger size also mean larger image files? Thus slower loading time by a web
 browser, especially for those without high-speed connections?

Actually, I used copies of IMO's charts. I made two different sets. I don't
remember which set Lew has, but the first set had parts of several reduced
charts photocopied onto 2 or 3 pages I believe? The second set, (which I
think Lew has a copy of?) is also from IMO plotting charts that I have
reduced in size. The configuration was that out of the 12 charts, I reduced
them so that 2 charts can be fitted onto each side of the page...thus 3
pages. I also hand drew the LM areas onto those charts since the original
charts from IMO didn't have them drawn in and this was before the new IMO
handbook came out.  I also changed some of the connecting lines within the
constellations....even added a few.  This was a carry over from my charts
that I had modified for myself since I perceived the sky differently than
what the Europeans do.
George Zay