[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NAMN LM Charts

> From: GeoZay@aol.com

> <<
>  My .02 on the LM Charts.  I would like an all-sky chart, with the
>  major constellations plotted, and the LM chart areas outlined.  I
>  could go from the all-sky chart, to the appropriate LM chart quickly.
>   >>
> ------------
> Gregg,
> Are you referring about having an all sky plotting chart with the LM areas
> marked out to do your plottings on?

No, what I was suggesting was some sort of "index chart" for the LM
area charts, similar to the index charts in a sky atlas.  I was NOT
suggesting an all-sky plotting chart, or a micro-reduced, pasted
together LM chart.

> What I personally do is this. I have a little notebook with enough
> charts to show all the plotting areas combined tucked into plastic
> sheets. In the very back, I have the conversion tables. The
> conversion tables are not labled by the star count area number, but
> rather a name I gave them in relation to the constellation or some
> other prominent area in the sky they are near. such as: Star Count
> Area #3 I refer to as the star count area in the "Big Dipper Nose"
> ... and so forth. I find it easier to remember where the star count
> area is at by noting a constellation landmark rather than by a
> number. In the long run, it helps me to remember where the star
> count areas are located I think?

This is a neat idea, I like it.  Names are always easier to remember
than numbers.

Gregg Lobdell                             Voice: 425-234-0884
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group            Fax: 425-234-5775
Seattle, WA, USA                       InterNet: gml@atadot ca.boeing.com

P.S. (To Wayne) Pbbbbb! We do too have clear skies in Seattle, three
days a year, all during the full moon, plus July 32nd, and all of
Octember.  Seriously, though, my favorite observing sites are in the
desert half of the state in the Cascade rainshadow, conveniently out
of the megalopolis skyglow.