[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) So. Calif Observers

At 04:18 PM 10/21/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Talking to my wife this evening who is a backpacking and camping "guru" for
>girl scouts and other local groups in the San Diego, Calif area. She has
>informed me that as of this past June, in order to park legally along the
>side of the roads in the following National Forests: Cleveland, Los Padres,
>San Bernardino and Angeles, an "Adventure" pass is needed.
> What a bummer!
>George Zay

Hi George

Yes, I have come across the same problem at two areas where I go observing,
both of them in the the Los Padres National Forest.   At one site they have
a booth as you enter so you have to pay there.   At the other site there is
just a sign saying that an "Adventure Pass" is required.  No explanation, no
nuffin.   I have been told by some motor cycle dirt riding friends that you
are supposed to go to the nearest park office and purchase the pass there,
and the fine for not doing so is $300.    The nearest office to both these
sites is more than a thirty mile drive away.  I had occaision, in the past,
to make an enquiry at one of these very offices, when I found the main road
I was driving on had been washed out by heavy rains.   The office was closed
and I could hear people talking inside, but nobody would come to the door,
no matter how hard I banged.   So I won't feel inclined to drive thirty
miles to buy a pass and get that kind of reception.

You've got moe going on one of my pet peaves now, George.    The National
Forest Service, or should be the National  Forest Self Serving Service?
They have an extremely arrogant attitude and give me the impression that
they would rather not have the general public intruding in their bailywick,
and will do their utmost to frighten the public away.   Their attitude is
that it is your resposibility to know the rules.    That sounds fine, but
they keep adding rules as they go along and don't seem to require due cause,
like a regular police officer has to have, before pulling you over.  I can
tell you dozens of stories of encounters with rangers when I have done
nothing wrong, and they have threatened me with fines of $75, and up.   But
fortunately they were only a threats, or I would have seen them in court.

With regard to this latest imposition you mention, I am interested to know
what is going to happen to people, who not knowing about this new
regulation, casually stop by the roadside while driving through a national
forest area, and are "caught" by a vigilant ranger.   Will they instantly be
branded as a criminal and given a $300 fine?   What happens if you get a
flat, or break down and don't have an "Adventure Pass"?    You had better
know because as you enter every Forest Service area (in this area, anyway)
there is a dscreet little notice that states that it is your responsibility
to know and observe the regulations.  If you don't see it, you had better
look around.  It's probably there somewhere.  I was stopped once  was told
about a notice decribing an offence I had allegedly commited.  He accused me
of riding through a mud puddle, but I had not and could have proven it.   I
went to look for the notice  and  found it  with about fifty other such
missives, twenty  yards to the side of the entrance road amongst some trees
where you wouldn't be looking as you entered.   Does this all seem petty and
deliberate harassment to you?   It sure does to me.

I could write a book about this subject, but I'll leave it at that little
morsel.    But I do think there should be some sort of protest to get this
regulation rescinded, or rewritten.   Come to think of it where is it
written, and who wrote it?

Oh, enough

Ron