[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) N.Dakota Fireball Oct 17

I got this report this morning. A possible fireball was sighted over N.
Dakota on Oct 17.
George Zay
----------------------

 From N. DAK.  I saw a huge fireball or Satellite re-entry.  It was October
17, at 12:20 U.T.C.  Yes, It was twilite at the time.  The moon was near
full.  I was 9 miles north and 6 miles east of Devils Lake N.DAK at the time.
 The event started in the South and ended in the south east.  The entry was
very slow and large.  You could see flames shooting out from it.  There was a
lot of smoke.  It lasted 7 to 8 seconds.  It was 1/4 the size of the moon and
was as bright or brighter.  At the time, you could only see about mag 1 stars
such as Sirus and the brightest in Orion.  The object was entering very
erratically and you could see it spin ejecting flame like a pinwheel.  The
smoke trail lasted at least 1.5 minutes.  It was very unexpected.
Jim