[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) N.Dakota Fireball Oct 17

At 10:29 AM 10/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I got this report this morning. A possible fireball was sighted over N.
>Dakota on Oct 17.
>George Zay
>----------------------

> From N. DAK.  I saw a huge fireball or Satellite re-entry.  It was October
>17, at 12:20 U.T.C.  Yes, It was twilite at the time.  The moon was near
>full.  I was 9 miles north and 6 miles east of Devils Lake N.DAK at the time.
> The event started in the South and ended in the south east.  The entry was
>very slow and large.  You could see flames shooting out from it.  There was a
>lot of smoke.  It lasted 7 to 8 seconds.  It was 1/4 the size of the moon and
>was as bright or brighter.  At the time, you could only see about mag 1 stars
>such as Sirus and the brightest in Orion.  The object was entering very
>erratically and you could see it spin ejecting flame like a pinwheel.  The
>smoke trail lasted at least 1.5 minutes.  It was very unexpected.
>Jim

Hi Folks,
We also received this report, as well as a follow-up report from the
observer in which he further reports "If I had to pick between a meteor and a
re-entry for this one, I would suggest a re-entry."

Anyone have any other info on this one that might confirm it one way or the
other? Please let me know if you do.....

Thanks!

Mark Davis, MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network
Assistant Coordinator, ALPO & AMS
NAMN home page:
http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html