[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: Oct 23 Meteor Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

George Zay and I were suppose to meet at his observatory sometime
between 1 and 2 local but I slept through my alarm. I awoke at 1:30,
took a quick shower and arrived at the observatory by 2:45.
Unfortunately it was totally overcast and George was nowhere to be found
. I initially thought he headed for higher ground but his lounge chair
was still there indicating he had headed for home. I grabbed my chair
and sleeping bag and headed for the mountains figuring I had come this
far that I may as well travel a bit farther. I was shortly in clear
skies and set up at the Pine Valley Viewpoint by 3:00. The sky was very
clear with the Milky Way visible through Auriga, within 20 degrees of
the moon. The skies were quite active as the next 58 minutes produced 34
meteors. Several bright Orionids were seen but the highlight of the
morning was a -2 orange sporadic that lasted 3 full seconds and traveled
45 degrees. It produced a train that lasted 105 seconds. An estimated
radiant would be in the Canis Major-Puppis area. While observing I
noticed the fog bank in the west drawing closer and getting higher in
the western sky. By 3:45 It was apparent that my session would be cut
short. I tried to stretch my session to a full hour but by 3:58 the sky
was completely overcast.

I have to work the next 3 nights so my next scheduled session will be on
the morning of the 27th when the moon will be much less of a nuisance.

1000-1058 UT  0.97   6.29   3 EGE   20 ORI   11 SPO  34 TOTAL

The data includes: Universal time for each block of time, actual
fraction of an hour spent watching, average limiting magnitude for each
block of time, and shower activity seen. EGE = Epsilon Geminid,  ORI =
Orionids, SPO = sporadic (random meteors).

The sky was clear for 58 minutes. There were no obstructions and no
breaks were taken. I faced north northwest at an altitude of 70 degrees
all morning.

Temperature/Relative Humidity:   40 F  (4 C)   48%

Bob Lunsford

San Diego, California   USA