[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids from Boston

Lew asked:

>Hey, everybody! One of my clubs (Amateur Telescope Makers of Boston) has asked
>me to do a 10 minute talk at their Nov 13 meeting on the upcoming LEO max. Any
>suggestions on content from the more experienced observers/speakers?

Hi Lew, I would suggest just the basics. Start with what meteors are (if
needed). Then progress to sources of meteors; which you can use to lead into
meteor streams/orbits, which could then lead to periodic showers/meteor
storms and the Leonids. At this point maybe a little Leonid history, a
disclaimer that high ZHRs are only a possibility, not a guarantee, and
finally, a little on how and when they should observe them. With a 10 minute
slot, you will only have time to skim the surface......

>Also, I'd like to organize a last minute "beginners observing event" to go
>along with this talk: a night of IMO counting for beginners, to get people
more
>interested in the science.  Any thoughts from the expert organizers on the
list
>as to the feasibility of this, and the best way to go about organizing it?

I have attempted this myself over the years and have not had a lot of
success. I would still encourage you to attempt it though. One problem that
arises is that these watches are normally done during low rates, so this
should be explained beforehand. This might help keep their interest up, or
make them willing to try a better time. You should not expect to collect any
data yourself, as I never found this possible since I normally was engaged
in assisting others. Don't make it a marathon session, and finally, end it
with the announcement or offer of a second session, again with you
personally if at all possible.

Hope something here is of help! Good luck, and let me know how it goes.....

Mark Davis, MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network
Assistant Coordinator, ALPO & AMS
NAMN home page:
http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html