[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Joe Rao/comet hartley2

Jim>>As a reference source, one of my favorite on-line Leonid resources is
the
page adapted from Joe Rao's S&T article:
Rao, J., (1996). "The Leonids: King of the Meteor Showers,"
http://www.skypub.com/meteors/leoking.html (adapted from Sky & Telescope,
November, 1995).
There is more than enough material here for a 10-minute talk, and some neat
historical drawings as well.
Thanks, Joe!  (I didn't know you were on this list until this morning.)<<

Jim,
I'm almost certain that Joe Rao is not currently on this list. He was
responding to a posting that I addressed to him and the list by forwarding it
back to everyone that I sent the original message to...about the possibility
of Comet Hartley2 producing meteors. My original message was sent to the list
over the weekend and because of the list being down then, it got returned to
me and never posted. What basically happened, I received a Newsletter from
the Bay Watch Meteor Society that had an article by peter jenniskens and
others that discussed the slim possibility of meteor activity from this
comet. I was spreading the announcement of this possibility since it was to
occur on Nov 1/2 and 2/3. Joe and John Bortle responded to me and others that
this isn't likely because the comet not having enough time in it's new orbit
to spread it's debris around close enough to the earth etc. Apparently since
the newsletter was written, Peter has withdrawn the possibility. Anyhow, Joe
isn't on the meteorobs list. I asked him this morning and he said that
doesn't know?..apparently he would know if he was I think?
George Zay