[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: 103P/Hartley 2 Meteor Outburst?

Dear Mr. Langbroek:

In regard to your recent E-Mail, I should like to point out that the original
"alert" concerning a meteor outburst from 103P/Hartley 2 was sent out by Mr.
George Zay.

Mr. Zay, as you are probably know, is of the more assiduous meteor observers
in the United States, and his alert via E-Mail/internet to people like myself
served chiefly as a "stimulus" to get people out to observe.  A concept that
I would believe the IMO would certainly support

In my response to this "alert" on Monday, I never once stated that
103P/Hartley could possibly produce a meteor storm. . . in fact, after
looking carefully at the orbital circumstances of this comet, my initial
comment was that it would seem to be difficult for an associated display ". .
. even along the lines to one of the principal annual showers."

If for nothing else, my orbital projections into the future afforded an
interesting look at what this comet might do in October of the year 2010,
when it apparently will make an unusually close approach to Earth.  After
sending this message out, Alan MacRobert of Sky & Telescope promptly sent me
the retraction by Mr. Jenniskens (from last summer) concerning a potential
outburst.

And yes, I, and I'm sure many others will nonetheless, be out looking this
weekend (should weather conditions permit) if for nothing else, to satisfy
our curiousity about what may or may not happen!

Sincerely Yours
Joe Rao