[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) WG-PACM Alert: Beta Cygnids Nov. 1-8

My undaunted critic George wrote,

>Yes Jim it was unauthorized. But the purpose of the posting was to alert the
>observing community of the possibility. I received his Newsletter a week
>before the possible event was to occur. Should I have sat on it and not tell
>anyone? I received your post on Nov 1st. If comet Hartley was indeed to
>produce meteors or an outburst on the night of Nov 1/2 as suggested in the
>article, a lot of folks probably wouldn't have been aware if they relied on
>your post.  I think information such as this should be posted as soon as
>possible and not wait for it to have occurred or nearly so?

<smiling here>

Point taken.  In the case of this alert and the one produced for the
Giacobinids, I distributed the alert within two hours of receiving the
draft from Dr. Jenniskens.  Regardless, however, both alerts did not go out
until we were on the very "brink" of the potential events.

Rest assured that I shall distribute alerts from the Working Group as
quickly as i receive them from the interested scientist and other group
members.  The group has been newly reformed, and we are just beginning to
learn how to work with each other.

Thank you again, George, for publically pointing out the obvious.

Take care, all,

     Jim

James Richardson
Graceville, Florida
richardson@digitalexp.com

Operations Manager / Radiometeor Project Coordinator
American Meteor Society (AMS)
http://www.serve.com/meteors/