[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) WG-PACM Alert: Beta Cygnids Nov. 1-8

A.
>Ron,
>Looking over your report, I get the feeling that you aren't seeing any
>Beta-Cygnids if the expected velocity is around 17 km/s. This is an extremely
>slow speed when compared to most other meteors. I've noticed that you have
>some of them listed as having Fast and moderate speeds. A velocity range that
>I wouldn't expect for any meteor doing a 17 km/s entry velocity. You might
>have some Taurids...but I highly doubt Beta-Cygnids based on your speed
>judgements.
>George Zay

George
Definitely none of the meteors I listed as Beta-Cygnids were Taurids.   Not
one of them moved from the direction of  Taurus which was just rising behind
me.   All the objects from the Taurus area appeared over my head and were
quite fast.   I say "from the Taurus area" because I could not be sure that
is exactly where they were coming from as that area was behind me.   The
Beta-cygnids that I listed were all quite short and I saw the biginning and
end of them and they all started within the Summer Triangle.  The 2:30 one
started within one degree of Alberio and ended  about halfway to the line
joining Vega and Deneb and would have crossed that line about one third of
the way from Vega.   The 3:45 and 3:54 ones started to the left and a little
higher (dec) than Alberio and both crossed the Altair-Vega  boundary about
one third distance from Altair.  They were both about magnitude 2.   The
first I listed as slow and the second as moderate because it was a little
faster,  but technically it may be considered slow also.  The 4:05 and 4:11
ones both started at a higher declination than, and to the left of Alberio
and moved to the left towards, and above, Altair.   The 5:12 one passed very
close to Deneb.   These last three were very dim and short making judgement
of speed and color a little difficult.   But as I said before, I saw the
beginning and end of all six of these objects, and by continuing their line
of motion back to their origin, all six objects crossed at in an area very
close to RA 19d 50m,  Dec 30d.   Does this tally with where the Beta-Cygnid
radiant is?

In closing I would stress that the speed of these objects may be open to
interpretation,   the origin and direction is not.

Ron