[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re - Meteor Classifications (Taurids in Particular)

Hi George.

Yes, if the rates arent too high.
A bit of both evening and morning.
Australia.

I thought it was standard procedure to divide the meteors between the
two radiants if no one positive ID could be made, but your, Jim's and
Sirko's points are well taken, and I agree that a positive ID should be
made.  The problen with the Taurids are a few.  One, the Geo Velocity is
only .3kps different (approx), the streams, when at culmination are
right on top of each other so any meteors traveling N-S of close to this
become hard to ID, and the size of the radiants produce the same problem
for meteors traveling of this line.

I have actually plotted about 20 hours this year mostly monitoring minor
streams and the Puppid Velid complex where there is a shortage of
accurate data in stream positions.  I don't like to plot on nights where
the rates have the potential of reaching more than say 12-14 meteors per
hour (eg - maximum of any relatively major stream or morning after say
2.00 local time) as I have found you loose to much time plotting meteors
leading to rushing and a decrease in accuracy.

I'll take the advice on board, what you say makes sense (personal bias
for maximum dates aside, heh heh).

I have about 4 more hours of observations to post, so untill then.....

Adam Marsh ASVMS