[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Nov. 6 Meteor Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

I observed for 4 1/2 hours this morning with George Zay at the Descanso
Observatory. Activity was good as I counted a total of 58 meteors. The
highlight of the night was a blue -8 Northern Taurid seen and possibly
photographed by George before I arrived. The brightest meteors I saw
were a -2 NTA and a -2 sporadic. The Northern Taurids  were surprisingly
active, nearly doubling the activity of the southern radiant. Just the
opposite was expected tonight. There were also a few lingering Orionids
from a radiant now situated well within the borders of Gemini. Activity
died during the last half hour as only 1 meteor was seen the last half
hour of the night. A large and bright dome of zodiacal light was visible
during the last hour enveloping Leo and stretching all the way to the
Beehive Cluster. The weather was surprisingly mild and dry in contrast
to the damp and foggy conditions at home.

0830-0936 UT  1.00   6.50   6 NTA   2 STA   7 SPO   15 TOTAL

0936-1041 UT  1.00   6.52   2 NTA   4 ORI   2 STA   6 SPO  14 TOTAL

1041-1147 UT  1.00   6.48   2 NTA   3 STA   13 SPO   18 TOTAL

1147-1300 UT  1.15   6.19   1 NTA   1 STA   9 SPO   11 TOTAL

The data includes: Universal time for each block of time, actual
fraction of an hour spent watching, average limiting magnitude for each
block of time, and shower activity seen. NTA = Northern Taurid,  ORI =
Orionids, STA = Southern Taurid, SPO = sporadic (random meteors).

The sky was clear the entire morning. There were no obstructions and no
breaks were taken. I faced southeast at an altitude of 70 degrees all
morning.

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   50 F  (10 C)   36%

Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:  45 F  (7 C)   39%

Bob Lunsford

San Diego, California   USA