[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Murphy's Law and -8 N. Taurid

Well...I just developed my film. After examining the negatives closely, I was
re-acquainted with Murphy's Law. For those who aren't familiar with Murphy's
Law, it roughly states that "If anything can go wrong..dot it will"!  Well, to
my disappointment, I've discovered that the battery to my tracking device
failed on me yesterday...I only discovered that fact half way thru last
nights observing run. But the damage was already done. What that meant was
this...my camera wasn't aiming where I thought it was. Thus when the -8 N.
Taurid passed thru the certain part of the sky that I thought my camera was
aimed...my camera was pointing at another location. to make matters
worse..dot it wasn't tracking at all. All the supposedly pinpoint stars ended up
being streaks as the earth rotated. I will be getting me a new battery and
charger for my tracking device this afternoon. I don't want to have that
happen again. This was the first time I had this kind of failure out of about
200 observing nites using this camera platform....Dang it!!
George Zay