[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Monocerotids???

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

A possible outburst was reported on the night of November 6/7 from the
constellation of Monoceros. While chatting with Sirko Molau Saturday
about this possibility I examined my plots from that night and noticed
that 4 meteors formed a tight radiant near Alpha Monocerotis (114 -9).
There were two other meteors that were also only 5 degrees off and could
possibly be related. Upon looking at the coordinates given by Mr. Trigo
(111 +9) I was surprised to notice that the position he quoted is in
Canis Minor, just north of the bright star Procyon. Are the
constellation boundaries different in Spain or is there a possible
misunderstanding of the radiant position?

I did check Mr. Trigo's quoted position and noticed 3 meteors formed a
very loose radiant on the 6/7. There was also one possible meteor seen
on the previous morning that came from this area. This is well within
what is expected from any area of the sky on a normal night.

George Zay has a valid point that the Orionid radiant is close to Mr.
Trigo's position and the possibility exists that he observed activity
from the Orionids. Both George and I reported activity from the Orionids
on the night in question although nowhere as strong as the rates seen by
Mr. Trigo.

Bob Lunsford

IMO Regional Coordinator