[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Numerous Radio Meteor Reflections, 12 Nov

I monitored a two-way radio schedule on 144 MHz tonight between amateur
radio stations W8WN and KD1DZ; W8WN is located in Elizabethtown, KY and
KD1DZ is, I believe, in Rhode Island (I can obtain exact coords if wanted).
The schedule ran from 0400Z to 0430Z, with each station transmitting for
2-1/2 minutes, then listening for the other station for 2-1/2 minutes using
high speed morse code (160 words per minute). My own location is on the
eastern edge of Worcester, MA at coords 71.75W, 42.28N. The meteor
reflections I could hear were all forward-scatter from station W8WN in Kentucky.

During the six 2-1/2 minute transmitting sequences made by W8WN, I counted
the following audible reflections with reflection durations and signal
strengths as noted:

0400:00-0402:30Z: 2 reflections of less than 100 milliseconds duration, 1
reflection of duration approximately 500 milliseconds; all moderate signal
strength.

0405:00-0407:30Z: no reflections heard.

0410:00-0412:30Z: several very weak possible reflections of less than 100
milliseconds duration, 1 "burst" of at least 500 milliseconds duration at
strong signal strength.

0415:00-0417:30Z: between 8 and 10 total reflections; 7 less than 100
milliseconds duration of which 5 were moderate signal strength and 2 were
strong; and one "burst" of approximately 500 milliseconds duration at strong
signal strength; the remaining reflections were weak and difficult to tell
whether they really were there.

0420:00-0422:30Z: between 8 and 10 total reflections; 7 less than 100
milliseconds duration of which 6 were moderate signal strength and 1 was
strong; 1 "burst" of approximately 500 milliseconds duration at moderate
strength; and possibly two more very weak, very short reflections.

0425:00-0427:30Z: At least three moderate-strength, <100 millisecond
reflections and one moderate strength "burst" of approximately 500
milliseconds duration.

I did not hear W8WN after 0427:30Z; nor did I hear any backscattered
reflections from KD1DZ (however, I was often engaged in playing back
recordings of W8WN's signals while KD1DZ was transmitting; so there could
well have been backscattered reflections that I could have heard had I been
listening).

Perhaps someone can use this data in some small way; I was surprised at the
high number of reflections tonight because I don't believe I heard more than
two or three last night during the same attempt at completing a two-way
contact. The number of reflections heard tonight sounded more numerous than
my experience would have lead me to expect for that time of the night
(2300-2330 EST). Normally, I would expect perhaps one-quarter that number
during that time period.

Incidentally, station W8WN apparently did not hear station KD1DZ nearly as
well as both I and KD1DZ were hearing W8WN, as W8WN never transmitted a
signal report (which he would have done had he copied both his and KD1DZ's
callsigns).

Clear skies,

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA
Amateur Radio Meteor Scatter Station Ko0U