[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FWD: Leonid Observing Weather

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 00:29:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Skywayinc@aol.com

Subject: Re: Leonid Observing Weather ...

George -- I just got home from work and was going to fax you the weather
prospects for the Leonid peak.  As you have already surmised, it doesn't
look
very good for your area.  Here is the long-range discussion from the
National
Meteorological Center (NMC) at Camp Springs, Maryland:

"Western U.S. . . A cold front moving into the California coast on Saturday
will bring moderate-to-heavy coastal rains over northern California and
Oregon, continuing into Sunday.  A southern-stream shortwave will come
onshore into southern California and move inland later Sunday and Monday.
 This may bring some light precipitation to favorable terrain in southern
California and inland into Arizona.  This system looks fairly weak in the
models at this time but needs to be watched.  Expect that there may be more
moisture and precipitation than the models forecast."

Actually. . . it looks like a large part of the nation is going to have
clear
skies on Monday morning.  The prognostic chart for 12Z Monday indicates
that
an large (1033 mbs), albeit unseasonably cold dome of high pressure will be
centered over Arkansas, bringing mainly clear conditions to much of the
eastern 2/3rds of the country.

Nonetheless, here in New York, cold, blustery northwest winds blowing over
the eastern Great Lakes, could produce localized cloud cover and
"lake-effect" snow showers and squalls.  These "should" stay to my north
and
west. . .but even with generally clear skies, the cold and wind may make
for
a trying experience:  last year I watched the Leonids from the Pocono Mts.
of
Pennsylvania.  It was 11F with not a breath of wind -- like being inside a
meat locker.  This year, on Long Island, it might be 20 degrees warmer, but
biting 20-30 mph wind could sting a little!

Let me know if you need another weather update tomorrow, George.

-- Joe