[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Reports?

Hello,

------>Deletia<------

> There was a good sized fireball last night in the Seattle/Vancouver
> area. I've gotten 6 or 8 reports so far, and another 3-4 from Andre.
> Here's on of the more interesing ones, with a report of sound
> effects...

The problem with many 'reports' these days, are the quality of the
reports. I am not referring to the list-members' efforts. We are not
professional journalists. We are entitled to make 'amateur' reports,
we are amateurs many of us.

I heard the Art Bell radio talk-show 'reports', and I did read a
so-called 'CNN Report'. Some think this event was a meteor, and some
think the event was an UFO/Extraterrestrial Craft. Unfortunately, I
do not know who to trust? People saw something.
This CNN report,

see:

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9711/15/light.show.ap/index.html

did not provide very much information, they did suggest a nameless
government source. This is poor information. At least some
of the Art Bell witnesses are identifying themselves and some other
interesting points as well. But these people are probably not
trained / practiced meteor observers, astronomers and etc.,.

From the above CNN report I can not discern what caused the
'fireball' / streaks of light in the Washington area, nor can I
identify who does know?

Personally, I think a 'news report' must contain these
minimum points to qualify as a report:
1 - who,
2 - what,
3 - where,
4 - when,
5 - why,
6 - and then anything else.

A real bonus, via the InterNet: posted scientific data, taken by
professional investigators.

Another report:

Last month, October 09, 1997, 12:47pm MST in the El Paso, Texas - New
Mexico area there was a daylight event. Many people saw this event.
The Art Bell crowd have and were suggesting that the event was UFO
related. Maybe it was? Though I think it was a bolide, read this
report:

See:
http://www.lanldot gov/external/news/releases/archive/97-155.html

While the above 'report' was not scientific, it did meet all of the
five minimums. It was fair reporting. Though I really expect better
from a science center.

It would be great if 'the array' and the attendant data were
identified and the data were posted in the public domain.

Best Regards,

Walt Williams, 97.11.14
dfheli@pacificnetdot net

Woodland Hills, (LA suburb) California