[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids 16/17.11.97.

Hello, Rainer! Hi, all the others!

Here is my very first observation from USA. It was far from ideal
(haze+moonlight=disaster), and at the moments it was TOO exciting!

First of all, sky cleared quite unexpecetdly - all the forecasts said
that it was going to be rainy, and lead-colored clouds really didn't give
any hope that they would move. It was so hopeless that couple of days
ago I decided not to buy sleeping bag now, but to wait for seasonal sales!
You may imagine that I felt like heehawing when I saw the sky!

Nevertheless, I went out for the first session around (local)
midnight...and all the places I considered convenient for observing came
out to be absolutely unexpectable - for various reasons. As you know,
American philosophy of street lights is 'put-as-much-as-possible-
and-point-it-to-the-sky'. When I finally reached place dark enough for
observation, I realized that I was in a neighbourhood (Da Hood ;) ) where
I would in no way like to spend the night. Other places were either too
close to federal buildings, or obscured by canopies etc.etc. Eventualy, I
ended up in schoolyard near me, hoping that I won't be acused for peeking
in the surrounding houses ;). Well, after freezing for 20 minuts
(remember, no sleeping bag!) I saw only a single one meteor and decided to
go home and come back for the maximum session (4.30 local).

Encouraging, isn't it ;> ?

Luckilly, for the second session I didn't have similar adventures. Being
outside for more than an hour at temperature around 15F (I guess -10C?),
with wind, hiding from a moonlight and staring at the sky desperatly
trying to reach 4.5m is already an adventure. Not to mention that I had a
fun trying to imagine explanation for my presence if police patrol sees
me ;).

Here is my hour. Tonight I saw one of the most amazing meteors ever -
emerald green stationary Leonid with 3s (green!) trail.

Hope next year we'll all have better luck :)! Cheers!

Vladimir

Vladimir Lukic, LUKVL
16/17.11.1997.  ::  10.05-11.05UT
Urbana, IL, fi=40.1095N, lambda=88.2036W, h=230m

LEO  151,  22, 5

                 center    teff   lmg    f    LEO   TAU   Spor.
10.05-11.05UT    155/15    1.00   4.2   1.1    20    /     6

	-2    -1   0    1   2    3    4   total
LEO      1     1   1.5  3  6.5   5    2    20
Spor.              1    1   2    2          6