[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids by radio..a new receiver!

Michael Boschat wrote:

> Hello Observers'
>
> Well, my Icom $800 receiver died last night, I have no idea what happened.
> It was not plugged in to anything only the batteries were in it. It
> was connected to the cavity filter and the filter to the antenna outside.
> A static chrage?
> It worked in the morning and afternoon, but at 930pm it did not come on at
> all. Now it is on the way to be repaired!

Hi Mike

Lots of the Icom rigs have clocks with automatic turn on /turn off
features.  I was operating a DX contest from a Galveston beach with a
borrowed high end Icom rig several years ago.  About two hours before
the end of the contest the rig died.  Would not turn on.  All the fuses
looked ok.  Couldn't figure it out.  Turns out that someone had
inadvertently set the timer for automatic shut off.  Worked fine once we
reset the timer...by then the contest was over.

Arghhh....

Bottom line is it might be worthwhile checking to see that a button was
not pushed by accident.

Henry