[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) LEONIDS 11/16-17/97 (Nice!) from So Cal

Joseph>>  So Cal Greetings to all,
 Despite GeoZay's pessimistic weather-report postings, I just knew that
  Southern California observers had to be blessed with decent LEONID
  conditions.   Not having the energy/time to make the loooong drive up to
  Central Cal to join Jennsikens, Lunsford et al, nor did I feel like making
  3 hour sojourn to local desert, I decided to stay home, set the alarm for
  215am local...<<
---------
You got fence post lucky Joseph!  Those pessimistic weather reportings were
also those of the weathermen. The storm front unexpectedly drifted to the
North. Didn't want to chance it. I made my decision to head for the desert at
7 pm from my observatory..dot it was very cloudy then all over. The cloud
ceiling was at 15,000 feet. It was even cloudy out in the Yuma area at 9pm
when I arrived. But the weather forecast was for sky improvement starting
from that region and working it's way Northwards as the next day progressed.
Apparently it improved quite quickly and widely afterwards. I don't regret
the trip...I found a real nice alternative observing spot for future
reference. Wide open area, dark skies and easy driving off the main road to a
secluded area. Have to keep this spot in mind in case I have to do it
again...perhaps for the Geminids, Ursids or Quadrantids?

I just developed two rolls of film from my Leonid watch out in the desert.
Captured 5 Leonids. One relatively nice one...a short -6 Leonid with my 28mm
guided camera.

I also recently sent Mrs. Santa my Christmas wish list....all I wanted was a
used 35mm camera body, some HP-5 film and a GPS gadget. I would like to have
a third camera to play around with during major showers.
George Zay