[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonid Storm Peeks over US West Coast (fwd)

Marco<<
 The 1997 Leonids showed a major event over the western part of the USA.
 Between 4:00 and 4:30 local time (12.00 - 12.30 UT), tens of fireballs
 were seen by observers in Southern California.  There was a period in
 which about one fireball of -4 or better was seen every minute.
 Several of them -10 or so.  Many long enduring persistant trains
 were reported.  Due to the bright moonlight, no faint meteors were seen.

-------------

I've been hearing some references to a "storm" and Major events with this
years Leonids along the U.S. west coast area.  I admit that there were some
good activity and all, but nothing approaching a meteor storm. I wouldn't
even call it a Major Event...just a good show despite the moon type of thing.
During the period of of 12-12:30 UT, I only recorded about 15 meteors. Of
which 5 were negative or fireball magnitudes. A definite thrill to see...but
not a storm...nor a major event. I'd call it maybe a significant event, if
anything, in regards to the Leonids prospects for stronger activity in the
next couple years. But I think some of the descriptions I'm reading here are
quite a bit overblown.
George Zay