[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Variations in Visual Leonid Rates

At 01:48 PM 11/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I believe that it was he who had suggested a possible
>explanation, that this was due to a micro-filamentary structure, or clumps in
>the filamentary sheets of the Leonid stream.
>GWG

Hi, George. Interesting comment! I think that Jim Richardson's explanation
for the variance between his radio results and most reported visual results
makes a lot of sense, but there's still a short period of cross-over (where
*I* was not yet in twilight, for instance), yet radio rates were
significantly enhanced. This may still need explaining.

Did John Bortle suggest any mechanism which could create or maintain such
microfilaments in a meteoroid stream? Seems like such structures would be
pretty fragile and disperse very quickly - unless something somehow
reformed them constantly. Any thoughts from across the Atlantic?

Lew